Be careful with cleaning your air handler

0 Comments

I get crazy with our cleaning procedures from time to time.

I bought an up-to-date kind of bleach cleaning spray plus I have been hitting every area of our house with it.

So much bleach spray got into the air in my house that I provided myself a sore throat plus a throbbing headache. I was cleaning our TV, our floors, our dining room table, our bathroom sink, and even our shower. In the end, I guess I did more damage to our lungs than actual measurable effects on diminishing bacteria plus any other harmful particles collecting on our indoor surfaces. I was somewhat deranged with the cleaning in every section of our house. It’s safe to say that some of our surfaces are the cleanest that they have ever been. Then I started to notice a small amount of mildew growing on the external metal surface of our cooling system that sits in a closet inside the house. It gets pretty musty in there plus the black mold spores begin to show themselves. l thought that it would be safe to wipe the outside surface of the cooling system with a bleach solution, and I was careful not to get any inside the air handler. You never want to wipe the inside of a cooling system or a dehumidifier with any type of bleach. It will make the metal in the evaporator coil oxidize and then it could rust. This could cause permanent damage that can’t be undone. And sometimes it’s enough to put the coil out of commission altogether. Since up-to-date evaporator coils aren’t cheap, I always make sure I never touch the inside of the cooling system with any bleach. I let our trained Heating and A/C specialist wipe it with a spray made for that task. It’s both safe and effective at keeping the inside of our A/C clean and mold free.

 

multi split air conditioning